Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Disney Day 3--Part 1: Disney Enchanted 10k

On Saturday morning, we had a 3:45 wake-up call so that we could get dressed and ready to load up on the buses and head to the corrals for the 10k.  Let me tell you, after a long day and late night in Magic Kingdom, a 3:45 wake-up is brutal.  However, our adrenaline was pumping and we were ready to go!

My sister and I dressed as Anna and Elsa for the race.  We had capes made, coordinating ribbon, our hair braided, and finished the look off with a sparkly skirt.  My mom wore a Sparkle Skirt that she had bought from the Disney Expo {I will do a post in the future about my favorite running gear, but let’s just say that after mom bought one of these skirts, my sister and I both bought one!}.








We raced out to the bus stops in our resort after we were ready to go.  The one piece of advice that I can give you is to consider staying on resort if you are doing a runDisney event.  Just the bus service alone is worth it!  We quickly went through security and entered the “staging” area in the parking lot of Epcot and hung around for about twenty minutes before we went to our corrals.  Mom and I were in the same corral, but Mattie was up at the front.  So we established where we were going to meet at the end {especially crucial for a runDisney race since there are SO MANY PEOPLE running} and said our goodbyes!




It was so eerily dark that early in the morning—pretty much the only thing lit up was Spaceship Earth inside Epcot.  And it was cold.  Seriously freezing.  I obviously had it in my head that we were going to FLORIDA in FEBRUARY and it should be hot.  Boy, was I wrong!  However, it made running that much better because I didn’t get overly hot until probably mile 4.5 or 5.

When the Fairy Godmother started counting down for the start of the race and the releasing of the first corral, I started to get super excited!  When she got down to “ONE” fireworks exploded from the top of the starting gate and the 10k had started!

As mom and I waited for our corral to get to the front and start running, I started getting my playlist cued up on my phone and getting my Fitbit and running watches ready to go.  My nerves and adrenaline were in full force and I couldn’t wait to start running.  Finally, it was our turn to go and off we went!

Honestly, I was so excited and ready to run, I was kind of “in the zone” and not paying attention to all of the “Disney” stuff along the race route.  Throughout the course, there are opportunities to have your picture taken with Disney characters but {1} the lines were long and {2} I was sweaty and a mess.  The best part of the course is when you are running through the World Showcase at Epcot.  There is so much to look at and when you pass by all of the park employees and hotel guests are cheering you on!  It was definitely the boost I needed for the back end of the race!

The best part for me was that I had NEVER run that far in my life.  While training for the race, the furthest I had run was 4.5 miles so every step after that I kept thinking “I’ve never run this far.”  I just kept repeating that over and over in my head to motivate me to keep going.  I was a bit disappointed in my time because I got stuck on the second mile behind a GIANT group that was overtaking the entire road of just walking for the entire mile.  At the point in the course, there was no way to get around them without weaving through which seemed next to impossible to accomplish.  If I were to do things over again, I would change my mile pacing that I signed up with to move me to an earlier corral—even if I was on the slow side of the group I would have been closer to my pacing group and to who I actually finished with than the group I started in.  However, my disappointment at the “wasted mile” vanished as soon as I crossed the finish line.  I was just so incredibly proud that I set a goal for myself and actually accomplished it.  When I started running, I HATED it.  I dreaded going to the gym, dreaded running outside, heck I even dreaded lacing up my tennis shoes.  But now, I was loving it!  Who would have thought that motivated and determination would turn me into a runner?!

Once everyone had finished the race and we received our medals and snack boxes, we walked to wait for the bus to take us back to our resort.  We got back and dropped our stuff off and headed over to grab a quick service breakfast from Port Royale {not the greatest, not the worst meal we ate while we were at Disney—pretty standard}.  When we had finished eating, we walked back over to our room to take much needed showers and get ready to head over to Epcot for the rest of the day!



Epcot recap coming up next!

Previous Disney Posts: Day 1, Day 2

No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished