Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Catching Up: Mom and Mattie Come to Visit

First of all, I am so very sorry about my lack of posting!  I came back, posted an insane amount, and then disappeared.  I have a good excuse this time, I came down with bronchitis and walking pneumonia.  Not a very good combination.  After three weeks, I am still getting over it.  Luckily, the coughing is down to a minimum and I'm starting to feel like myself again.  Let me tell you, it is no fun getting sick this time of year, especially when it means being sick while family is in town and also having to miss my company Christmas party for the second year {I was sick last year for it, too}.  Okay, enough of my whining, I have a LOT to catch my little blog up on!

At the beginning of November, my mom and sister, Mattie, came up to visit us.  We had hoped to get it worked out for them to come up in October, but it just didn't work out.  We had a very busy weekend!  I left work early Friday to meet them back at our place.  They unloaded the car and then we headed out to run errands and grab lunch.  We ate at a local chain that is similar to Panera and it was so yummy!  I got a wedge salad and tomato soup and it hit the spot! After lunch, we headed to Target where mom picked up a little three-foot Christmas tree for my grandparents {which I headed back and grabbed one for us later that week--we just don't have the room for a full size tree and these were just too darn cute!}.  After Target, we began to drive back to the apartment to let Elli out, feed her dinner, and get ready for dinner with the Watermans at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  However, I forgot about five o'clock traffic.  Like seriously, it just slipped my mind.  We sat on the highway for an hour before we got to the next exit to take the back way to the apartment.  I could have kicked myself!  Needless to say, we were a little late to dinner with Tom's family!

The next morning, Tom cooked us breakfast while us girls got ready.  After breakfast, Mom, Mattie, and I headed up to Williamsburg for the day.  We stopped at the Outlets to start the day out...they were absolutely PACKED!  We only made it to Ann Taylor Loft, Gap, and J. Crew; we just didn't have it in us to fight all of the crowd.  I did find an adorable polka dot dress to wear to my Christmas party {too bad, that didn't happen} and Tom's cousin's wedding in February.


After the outlets, we headed to Colonial Williamsburg.  We didn't actually tour anything, we just wanted to walk around the town and do some shopping.  We had so much fun walking around {it was a beautiful weekend}.





At the open air market, my sister and I had fun modeling their various hats...and of course posed for pictures!





We quickly made our way down the street to make it to the bakery before they closed.  If you go to one place in Williamsburg, make sure you make it to their bakery and get their gingerbread cookies and hot apple cider.  Oh my goodness, they are heaven!

We had reservations at Christiana Cambell's Tavern {so good, it is my favorite tavern} for dinner.  It did not disappoint!  This particular tavern specializes in seafood and I cannot tell you how much we all enjoyed it and how incredibly stuffed we were!

Mom had gotten us tickets for the tavern ghost walk after dinner.  We heard some very intriguing ghost stories about the local taverns and it gave us plenty of time to walk off our dinner!

Before leaving Williamsburg, we stopped for fudge at the local chocolate shop.  Then it was time for our drive home.

The next morning, we went to a local restaurant for breakfast.  Man, was it good!  Tom got an omelet, mom got "Maters, Taters, and Ham," Mattie got "Bowl o' Biscuits," and I got Banana's Foster French Toast.  Let's just say, we all ate very, very well this weekend!

Then, it was time for Mattie and Mom to hit the road back to North Carolina.  The weekend went by way too fast, but we had such a great time!


Photobucket

1 comment :

Kate as of Late said...

Sounds like you all had a blast!
I also had no idea you were sick!!! I totally feel you girl, I've had largnfitis :(
Glad you're on the mend and you had a great time with your mom and Mattie!! :)

Blog Design by Get Polished