Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Birthday Back Home

I swear, one day I will actually do a weekend recap the Monday after it takes place.  Until then, I'll just have to do another weekend recap a week later! {Oops!}

Last Friday, Tom and I headed down to North Carolina to celebrate my birthday with my family.  We left right when Tom got home from work on Friday {during the summer he gets off at 1:00 on Fridays...lucky!}.  Mom had originally told me that she was cooking me spaghetti for my birthday and that she might invite my grandparents over.  {My mom's mom used to always cook family members spaghetti for their birthdays and we would all gather at her house to celebrate the birthday person.  But, the family got too big to keep doing it.  So, spaghetti for birthdays has pretty much stuck.}  Anyways, when mom calls us to see where we are, her house sounded kind of loud, but I didn't think anything of it.  When we pulled up to the house, we saw that not only were my grandparents there, but both of my mom's sisters and {most} of their kids were there, too! I was completely surprised!!

We had such a fantastic night of spaghetti, cake, and enjoying each others company.  Of course, I took no pictures {which I'm pretty bummed about}, but I have some great memories of the night!!  After the family left, Mom made homemade popcorn topped with parmesan cheese and enjoyed catching up.

The next day, Mom and Mark cooked us a delicious family breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy.  No matter what I do, I cannot make sausage gravy like my mom...I just don't have enough patience and end up adding too much flour and it tastes awful.

After breakfast, we decided we would all shower and head to High Point to see The Dark Knight Rises.  Y'all...that movie is amazing!  It totally captivated all of our attention and engrossed us in the story...my sister and I had to use the bathroom for almost the entire movie, but would not get up to go because we did not want to miss the movie!!  After the movie we went for frozen yogurt at a place my sister raves about all the time.  It did not disappoint!  I got the homemade strawberry frozen yogurt and topped it with fresh strawberries and pineapple...so good!  Tom got the strawberry, too, and topped his with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, and chocolate "dust."  It is so funny the differences in our yogurt...although I would have gladly sampled his!!

Once we got back to the house, we all freshened up and headed to my dad's parents' house for my birthday celebration with them.  Originally, we had discussed going out to dinner, but decided to just cook in.  I am so glad that we did!  It allowed us to talk without having to scream down to the other end of the table and truly enjoy our time together!

My dad had told me that it would be my grandparents, uncle, dad, Betsy, and some family friends.  I was completely surprised to see my aunt and her kids still in town from Florida!  I was told that they had left to go back home already!  It was a great surprise for my birthday!!

I did remember to take some pictures this time!! {I'm getting better...}




{Poppop and Mattie had some fun with the birthday hats!}





Tom and I had such a fun weekend in North Carolina for my birthday! I am so grateful to have such an amazing family surrounding and supporting me!! Thank y'all so so much for giving me such a memorable birthday!

One of the best parts of the trip, I read 150 pages of my current book on the drive down to North Carolina.  Unfortunately, my current book is Gone with the Wind, so what's that...like 1/10th of the book?? I am past the halfway point though!! :-)

Photobucket

2 comments :

Jennifer said...

It looks like you had a great birthday!
I love your outfit :)

Kathleen said...

Yay! so glad you had a great birthday! :) And I love your birthday outfit! So cute! PS. I nominated you for the Liebster blog award! :) Oh and I got your giveaway! Thank you so much! :)

Blog Design by Get Polished