Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trip to Washington, DC

This past weekend, Tom's family took us up to Washington, DC.  Can you believe that I have never been there before?!  It was absolutely freezing while we were up there {of course, it's in the 60s there this week!}, but we managed to bundle up and make the best of it!!  I'm going to do a recap first and then post all of my pictures {so buckle up, this is going to be a long post!}.

We had such a great time on our trip!  We left Saturday morning at 7 AM and drove straight into DC.  We started out by going to the Holocaust Museum, which was very sad and moving.  I didn't take any pictures there because it is a memorial, but I highly recommend going there if you are ever in DC.  It was one of my favorite places we went to--a lot to see so budget a lot of time for it!

After the Holocaust Museum, we headed to grab a quick lunch.  After lunch, we walked a few blocks over to check out the White House.  I could not believe I was so close to the White House...even though we were really far away!

We then headed over to the American History Museum.   Oh my goodness, this place is HUGE!! Unfortunately, several of the exhibits had closed just a few days before, but there was still so much to see!!  I absolutely loved this museum--especially seeing the Ruby Slippers up close and the First Ladies' dresses...so neat!

After the American History Museum {where we spent over 3 hours}, we headed out to Springfield, VA where we stayed {about 45 minutes outside of DC} to check in to our hotel and grab dinner.  While we ate dinner, we watched the Broncos game {which we were very disappointed by}.

The next morning, we woke up bright and early for the continental breakfast.  We then headed to the nearest metro station to head in to the city.  We headed straight for the Natural History Museum {we wanted to make sure we did the museum first so we wouldn't have to rush through it later in the day}.  My favorite things in this museum were the jewelry {go figure}.  The Hope Diamond was breathtaking, but so were all of the earrings, necklaces, and tiaras!  I would love to have some of those pieces!!

We grabbed a quick lunch in the food court of the Natural History Museum.  It was surprisingly delicious!! I had a bowl of Butternut Squash soup and it was so yummy!!

After lunch, we walked over to see {most} of the monuments.  Unfortunately since it is winter, all of the fountains were drained and they are repairing the reflecting pool so there was no reflecting going on while we were there!

We headed first to the World War II Monument, which was beautiful {and gigantic}!  After the World War II Monument, we walked by what would be the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial.  I could not get over the size of this!!  I guess in pictures it doesn't look quite as big, but holy cow was it huge!!  We then walked over the Vietnam Memorial--the shear number of names on this wall is just mind blowing!  Before heading back to the metro, we stopped by the Korean War Memorial, which was really cool...it is life size soldier statues out on patrol {definitely my second favorite monument...my first favorite I found the next day!}.

We had to wait 30 minutes for our train because {a} it is the weekend and they cut back on services on the weekend and {b} they were working on the lines.  Tom, Trevor, and Tom's dad were chomping at the bit to get back to the hotel to watch the New York Giants game.  I thought they were going to have a fit waiting on the train!!  It finally came and luckily by the time we got to the hotel, the game was tied at 3-3, which Tom said was almost as good as 0-0!

After a busy two days, we were all exhausted! But we still had one more half day left!!

Monday morning, we woke up and had breakfast and checked out of the hotel.  We headed to Arlington National Cemetery to see Tom's great-grandfather's grave, as well as several other "tourist-worthy" grave sites.  The view from John F. Kennedy's grave is breath-taking...it has the perfect view of the DC skyline.

After going to Arlington, we drove back in to DC to drive by the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial {since it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, it was PACKED!} as well as the Jefferson Memorial.  I cannot wait to go back to DC so I can see these memorials up close!  While we were circling around, we got stuck in traffic and we couldn't figure out what was going on.  Then helicopters started flying overhead and we knew something was up.  Sure enough, the presidential motorcade drove by!  I just thought that was the coolest thing in the world!!

I asked if we could swing by the Iwo Jima Memorial on the way out of town, if we could find it.  It is not located in downtown DC, but off a little ways.  I am so glad that we found it.  It was my absolute favorite Memorial/Monument we saw of the trip.  Now, much like the Lincoln Memorial, I had always assumed this Memorial would be like life-sized humans lifting the American flag.  Oh no.  It is more like Jolly Green Giant sized people lifting the American flag.  Plus, it had an amazing view of DC.  Absolutely breathtaking! It was a great way to end our trip to DC!

Now, for the pictures.  Unfortunately, I could not find my point and shoot camera, so these are all iPhone pictures...

{Occupy DC?!}

{Washington Monument}

{Tom and Me in front of the White House}
{Trevor, Tom, and Me in front of the White House}




{I thought this was too funny: this van was in the American History Museum...my mom had an all-blue version of this when I was little!!}
{Ruby Slippers}

{Dorothy's Slippers!}

{Michael Jackson's Hat}

{Infamous Farrah Fawcett swimsuit}

{Mamie Eisenhower's dress}

{Jacqueline Kennedy's dress}

{Michelle Obama's dress}

{Dolly Madison's dress}

{Abraham Lincoln's hat}

{World War II Propaganda--doesn't it look like Darth Vader?!}

{Piece of steel from the World Trade Center}

{Lunch Counter from F.W. Woolworth's in Greensboro, NC}

{I did my senior history thesis on the sit-in that took place at this lunch counter; I told them this represents my history degree!!}


{Washington Monument at night}

{Capitol Building at night}

{Bright and early on the metro!}



{Priority Seating}

{Sleepy head}

{Natural History Museum}

{Trevor next to "Simba"}

{Hope Diamond}

{Hope Diamond}




{World War II Memorial}

{World War II Memorial}

{World War II Memorial}

{Tom and Trevor at the Lincoln Memorial}

{Tom and Me in front of the Lincoln Memorial}
{Tom and Me in the Lincoln Memorial}
{Tom and Trevor in the Lincoln Memorial}

{Tom, Trevor, and Me in the Lincoln Memorial}

{View from the Lincoln Memorial, and of the non-reflecting reflecting pool}

{Vietnam Memorial}

{Just two panels of names...hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of names...}

{Korean War Memorial}

{Korean War Memorial}

{Waiting patiently for the subway}

{Waiting not so patiently for the subway}

{Seriously, not patient at all!}

{Still no train!}

{Tom, Trevor, and Tom's Dad at his great-grandfather's grave in Arlington}

{Eternal Flame and John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy's graves}





{View from JFK's gravesite}

{Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers}


The next few pictures are of the presidential motorcade...if you look at the road right in front of the columns you will see it!  They had their own armored SWAT vehicle and ambulance!










{Favorite Monument...Iwo Jimo Memorial}





We had such a great time in Washington!  Tom and I are already thinking about what we want to do next time!!

Photobucket

6 comments :

Lauren H. Edmondson said...

looks like ya'll had a blast! I tagged you in a post today :)

Katie said...

Looks like such a fun trip! We've been wanting to go to DC for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet! I know this is silly - but the photos of National History Museum and Lincoln Memorial remind me of Night at the Museum 2! LOL

Kate as of Late said...

It looks like you all had an incredible time! I know I've said it before, but it is awesome how close you are to toms parents!!!
You look great love!!!

Amy Powell said...

that all just looks like such great fun!! I love DC... but I've been there in the summer, so that's probably why :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

I loved Washington D.C. and can't wait to go back. There is so much to see, learn, and do! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Jenny said...

Looks like y'all had a great time! I went to D.C. the summer before 8th grade with my BETA culb! I really enjoyed it but I was so young that I didn't fully appreciate everything! I want to go back one day!

Blog Design by Get Polished