Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book Reviews, Volume One

If you have seen my right sidebar, you know that I have been reading {almost} like a mad woman this summer.  Honestly, I could have read more, but I am very proud of the number of books I have been able to read over the past couple of months.

As you all know, I absolutely loved reading The Help...I have already done a review of that book here.

However, I have recently been loving the Sookie Stackhouse books as well as some new-found mystery series.

{Source}
I read the first three Sookie Stackhouse books {Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, and Club Dead}.  They are all very, very good and I actually enjoy them almost as much as True Blood.  They are very different from the TV series...some characters don't last in the books like they do in the show, other characters don't play as big of roles...you get the picture!  I also like that the book is strictly from Sookie's point of view, not varying characters.  If you are looking for light, enjoyable reading, I definitely recommend these books.  The books are slightly graphic, but not nearly as graphic as True Blood.

Well, instead of buying the novel in paperback or for my Nook, I decided to check the local library for it.  Unfortunately, they had the fifth book but not the fourth book.  I am not going to lie, I was very bummed. 

Tom, being the level-headed man that he is, suggested I look for something else to read while I wait for them to get the book in {smartly, he also suggested I put a "hold" on the book so I could get it immediately when it came available}.

I selected three mystery books and quickly got to reading.

{Source}
The first book was by the same author as the Sookie Stackhouse books--Charlaine Harris.  I read the first book in her Aurora Teagarden series, Real Murders, and fell in love.  I really liked that immediately within the first chapter the plot kept moving...it did not take long at all to get swept up in the story.  Sadly, I went back to the library to grab the next book in the series.  Again, no such luck, it was checked out.

{Source}
The next book that I checked out is entitled Strangers by Mary Anna Evans.  This is the latest in her series of books chronicling archaeologist Faye Longchamp and her various exploits.  This book did take me several chapters to get in to, but let me just put it this way...I stayed up until 3:00 AM this morning finishing this book.  When it started getting good, it got GOOD!! It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and I will be {hopefully} checking out her earlier books in the Faye Longchamp series.

{Source}
I just started the third mystery book that I checked out from the library this morning.  This book is also the last book in a series {I seriously need to stop doing this! I hate reading books mid-series!} entitled  Backstage Stuff by Sharon Fiffer.  So far, it is a very quick and enjoyable read.  I will keep y'all updated if it is a "keeper."

Have y'all read any good books lately??

Photobucket

2 comments :

Amanda said...

I'm overwhelmed, and I'm also feeling guilty for not reading enough. I guess I now have even more books to add to my list of "I want to read this when I make the time." Happy hump day!

Katie said...

I've read a ton this summer too - summer always seems to be the best time to read! I recently tried reading the first book in the Sookie Stackhosue novels, and I found them to be really boring, and not that well written. I didn't think they were terribly graphic, but I could really do without all the sex scenes. I don't think it adds anything to the story that couldn't have been done in a more tasteful way. I liked the Sookie character, but that was about it, and not enough to keep my attention. I read about half before moving on to something else. I really recommend "Before Ever After" by Samantha Sotto if you're looking for a great romantic/supernatural/mystery type book.

Blog Design by Get Polished