Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hurricane Preparation and A Job Interview

Well, it looks like Hurricane Irene is coming our way!

{Source}
It looks like we are going to be in the extreme threat level if Ms. Irene stays on her projected path.  They are predicting that she could hit us between a Category 2 and 3.

We started our hurricane preparations today, attempting to beat the rush.

Wal-Mart was almost a complete bust.  No "D" batteries.  No lanterns. Couldn't find the flashlights.  No water (except for one case of flavored water).  We did find oil for the generator.

I say it was almost a complete bust because I did find some super cool Sharpie pens.  I have the original pack (blue, black, and red) but these were pink, aqua, "melon," and lime green!  I love them...they were totally a hurricane prep essential!


Next, we went to Target and got some cases of water, a black Mag Light for Tom, and some "AA" and "AAA" batteries.  Still no "D" batteries.  Still no lanterns.  But, I did buy the new InStyle magazine and a People magazine special on the style of Kate Middleton.  Seriously ladies, priorities!  This is my hurricane survival pack!!

So, off to Home Depot we went.  We FINALLY found lanterns and bought two of them.  When we walked through the door, a man that worked there said they did not have ANY "D" batteries in the store.  Well, when Tom and I were searching for lanterns, we stumbled upon a forgotten display in the back that had a mere 6 packs of "D" batteries...we bought all of them!

There was also a sign on the door of Home Depot that said you cannot pre-order, reserve, or order generators.  The man that worked there also said that the last two generators in the store had just been sold.  People do not kid around when it comes to preparing for hurricanes!  Luckily, Tom's family already has a generator (this is not their first rodeo).

Here are all of our hurricane goods:




Now, on to other matters...

I have a job interview tomorrow! It is a group interview for a Personal Banker position!  I am super nervous, but am trying to focus my nervous energy into making sure that my outfit, purse, portfolio, resume, and appearance is all in order.  Basically, when I get nervous, I obsess over every little thing I can control!

Has anyone ever been through a group interview? Any idea of what I should expect?

Lastly, a girl that is only a year younger than my sister died today.  Her father and her were in a horrendous car accident yesterday that took his life and left her in critical condition with a broken pelvis, both of her femurs broken, and brain swelling.  While I do not know the exact details of her passing, please keep her and her family in your prayers.  I do not want to imagine what her family is going through.  Here is a link to the news report if you want to read more about it.

I hope y'all had a great Wednesday!

Photobucket

9 comments :

Emily said...

Good luck on your interview!! And I hope Irene is kind to you! :) Have a great week!

Brunette & Blessed said...

So I started cracking up with I started reading this and you went for survival supplies and got sharpies and a magazine. made my day. Hope the hurricane is not too bad! Good luck at the interview!

Melissa said...

We haven't even started preparing for the hurricane, but we're supposed to be going to the Jimmy Buffet concert on Saturday. We already have hotel rooms up there, so I guess we'll just head that way whether the concert happens or not.
Stay safe, and good luck with your interview!

Ashley said...

Good luck with the hurrican stuff!! When you live in FL, you have most of that stuff on hand at ALL time lol Hopefully it is mostly just some wind and rain and y'all don't have to deal with any kind of additional damage!

Good luck with the job interview!

Lauren H. Edmondson said...

My little sister is at UNC-Wilmington and is completely terrified of Irene, I bet they end up evacuating the area before Friday. Hope ya'll ride out the storm safely!

Kate as of Late said...

Be safe!
If you decide to evacuate you could always come here!! Lol.
But seriously, stay safe and I'll be praying for you and Tom and his family!
And good luck on your job interview! I know you'll rock it!!! :)

CALLIE said...

Sharpie pens and Fashion Mags are a must for surviving a hurricane!!! Love it. I mean, what else is a girl supposed to do ha? Anywho, best of luck on your interview and prayers going up that it goes well and for the family from the car crach.

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

Good luck with the hurricane!! And the interview!! :) I have done one group interview and really it's not that much different than a regular one on one interview, just answering the questions in front of everyone instead...

And the girlie must have hurricane supplies - totally agree they're a must!! :)

Laura said...

I NEED those sharpie pens for my new Erin Condren planner!

And y'all be careful with the hurricane! The only thing in Dallas we can "prepare" for is winter weather if we think it's on it's way!

No lie, I am hoping the hurricane brings some rain our way... silver lining on the edge of the storm cloud!?!?

Blog Design by Get Polished