Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Help

Yesterday, Tom and I went to go see The Help.  We have been trying to watch our money and not go out too much, so we decided to go to a matinee ($8 each for a ticket...not TOO bad! ha).  I usually say a hundred different movies that I want to go see, but end up deciding to wait to see it on DVD.  I am so glad that I decided we should go see this one, though!!


Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


I read the book earlier this summer in anticipation of the film; I always want to try to read the book before I see the movie because usually the book is better!  I was very hesitant about how good the movie would be since the book was phenomenal.  I was scared that the film would leave out specific scenes that had engrained themselves in my memory of the book and make the movie not as good.

Well, let me tell you, this movie was absolutely amazing! I would totally pay to go see it again and I have already informed Tom that this is a DVD I must own!  He even liked it!  I was really worried about him taking me to see it, since it is most definitely not an action movie, but he laughed a lot and really enjoyed the movie.  He gets so wrapped up in things, and he told me that he "just can't believe white people were so horrible back then!"

I thought the casting for the film was dead-on accurate!  I thought Bryce Dallas Howard played the perfect Hilly.  She portrayed her exactly as I had pictured her while I was reading the novel...very conniving, but beautiful.







{Do you recognize the woman on the right?? She plays the preacher's wife from the Fellowship of the Sun



from Season 2 of True Blood!!}





Now, I was worried about Emma Stone playing "Skeeter"...she is a very beautiful woman and Skeeter was supposed to be awkward.  I thought that she did a wonderful job toning down her beauty and portraying the character! The shine-o-later scene is hysterical!!


Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest





My favorite character in the book was Miss Celia! She was hysterical to read about and Jessica Chastain did such a wonderful job portraying her in the movie!!





Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


I just love Aibileen's character!  Viola Davis does such a wonderful job of bringing this character to life. It makes me tear up every single time she would tell Mae Mobley "You is kind, you is smart, you is important."  The bravery it took for this woman to help Skeeter write her book even though she knew what the consequences would be is remarkable!!





Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


Oh goodness gracious, Minny's character had me laughing for the entire movie!! She is a ball of fire!! Octavia Spencer does a great job of portraying this character...she played her exactly how I had pictured her!!  Oh my goodness, I am so glad that they included the scene where Hilly eats the "Terrible, Awful"...it was funny, you could tell in the audience who had read the book and who hadn't based on who laughed at that part!! (You know what I mean if you have read the book...you cannot forget Minny's terrible awful!!)


Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


I am SO GLAD that Miss Hilly's mom had a larger role in the movie than in the book!!  Sissy Spacek did such a wonderful job with this role!  Holy cow, she had so many one-lined quips towards her daughter...definitely showed that she had some spunk!!


Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it! The good thing about this movie, though, is that you don't necessarily have to have read the book to love the movie.  This movie is honestly one of my favorite movies of all time (it may just edge out Gone with the Wind or at least tie it for the #1 spot)!

I love how the book and film depict the developing relationships between two groups of people that were supposed to be separated but how they defy the odds to become friends.


Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest



Source: imdb.com via Courtney on Pinterest


There are two scenes in the book and movie that made me tear up!  The scene where all of the maids tell Skeeter that they will help her as well as the scene where the church congregation give Aibileen the autographed copy of The Help...all of the fellowship and determination that they displayed during these two scenes just makes me so happy!!

I also loved that Anna Camp (who played Jolene French in The Help) and Nelsan Ellis (who played Henry the Waiter in The Help) were both from True Blood.  Anna Camp played Sarah Newlin (the preacher's wife from the Fellowship of the Sun, season 2) and Nelsan Ellis plays Lafayette!

I highly, highly recommend this movie! You definitely should go out and see it!

Photobucket

5 comments :

Ashleigh said...

I'm about to start this book AND then see the movie-- so glad to read that they are so similar and all the good reviews of the book! Now i cant wait!

Melissa said...

I really wanted to see the movie already, but now I REALLY want to see it! Like you, I rarely go see the movies in the theater because of prices, but I might just have to BEG my husband to take me. I don't think I can even wait for it to come to the $2 theater.

Kate as of Late said...

I always love your reviews! I have wanted to read the book for a while now, I'll have to wait until after this semester though lol.
Awesome review!! <3

Sierra said...

I can't wait to see the movie! I just got the book and as soon as I'm done I will see the movie. Thanks for the awesome review:) done I will see the movie. Thanks for the awesome review:)

Kathleen said...

My roommate has the book and I've been dying to read it! I think this review just pushed me to start it tomorrow! I've really been wanting to see the movie too I just haven't had a chance. So now that I know how good it is, I def will go see it after I read the book! Thanks for the review! :)

Blog Design by Get Polished