Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Gym Chronicles, Volume 1

Photobucket

As I've mentioned before, I recently joined the local YMCA so that while we are living here for the summer I can try to focus on health and fitness and finally get into shape!  I'm going to attempt to chronicle what I'm doing at the gym here on my blog so that I can keep track of it and maybe hold me somewhat accountable for myself!

I officially joined last Friday (6/10) and Tom and I headed straight upstairs to the gym.  Let me tell you, I was blown away by the facility...each treadmill, bike, elliptical, and stairmaster has its OWN television.  Maybe it's just the past gyms that I have been in that have the TVs mounted on the wall but I got so excited!  We've made the decision to go to the gym at 1:00 every weekday because {one} its less crowded and it doesn't make me anxious with loads of people staring at me (even though they aren't really, I'm just extremely paranoid) and {two} Grey's Anatomy AND Law and Order: SVU are on TV and I can watch/focus on that while I endure enjoy my workout!

So, here is a rundown of our past three workouts:

Friday (6/10): 30 minutes on the "sit-down bike" (don't know the official name)

Monday (6/13): 30 minutes on the "stand-up bike" (again, no technical name) and 10 minutes on the stair master (I did NOT like this machine, it did not feel like a natural movement or maybe I'm just not as coordinated as I used to be!)

Tuesday (6/14): 30 minutes on the elliptical (LOVED this, but felt like I was going to absolutely DIE!) and then 20 minutes on the "sit-down bike" (I felt like this routine was really good for me...I could run on the elliptical and then sit down on the bike and kind of do a half hard-core workout on it and then do a 1/2 cool down type workout...plus I can get on Google Reader and read my blogs while I'm doing it!!)

I decided that I wanted to start out slow with just a thirty minute workout and work up from there.  It has honestly been since high school that I actually "worked-out" and even then I didn't work out in a gym--I cheered in high school and although I was in excellent physical shape from throwing girls up in the air (and catching them) I never ran or lifted weights (even though a girl is a lot heavier than dumbbells!)

Eventually, I want to work up to about one and half hours to two hours at the gym.  I definitely am going to be adding weight machines but for now I want to focus on cardio.

What do y'all do at the gym? Any suggestions for beginners??  Also, I have been eating a smallish breakfast before I go and then lunch afterwards.  Today, however, I ate my breakfast and then had a small lunch before we went but I still felt really famished after my workout.  Is there anything good that I should eat before or after that could help (I think it was my blood sugar that drops post-workout...)??  Thanks guys!

2 comments :

[SMASH] said...

That sounds like one fancy YMCA! :) I saw the elliptical and bike are great forms of cardio for beginnings. With the weights, check online to find a routine of what machines to rotate. That'll save you on a trainer. But definitely ask the staff how to work or adjust anything you're unsure about!

aleasa said...

what a fancy gym! i wish we had those machines with TVs on base.. i hear air force bases have them. anyway! when i'm at the gym i do the same thing almost everytime.. intervals on the spinning bike (the taller one--not sure of the name either!) for 35-40 minutes and then 20-25 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical (mostly treadmill). then weights! working out is so refreshing, except i can never remember how good i feel after working out... so i have a hard time staying motivated! so keep up the good work!

Blog Design by Get Polished