Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recipe Time!!




Sorry I've not been blogging a lot recently--winter term ended last week and Tom, Elli, and I went up to visit his parents. But, I'm back in the swing of things, classes started Tuesday, and I'm ready to go!! Last semester before I graduate (and get married!)...YAY!!! For Thoughtless Thursday I thought I would post a go-to recipe in our household. It is from the Charity League of Lexington Cookbook called Tastes of the Town and was originally published in 1969. It is a cool cookbook because my grandmother and her friends actually had some of their own recipes published in it! My family has taken some liberties with the recipe and I have also changed some things up for ease as well as Tom's taste buds! Enjoy!!

Hamburger Pie

Ingredients:
-1 lb hamburger
-1 can of green beans (the original recipe calls for 1 package frozen green beans, but canned is so much easier!)
-1 can tomato soup
-6 medium potatoes
-1 Yellow Onion (Tom's mom actually makes this and uses a vidalia onion, but I do not like sweet onions!)
-Salt and Pepper

Directions:
1. **My Change** Sautee onion in extra virgin olive oil until lightly browned. (Tom doesn't like the taste of raw-ish onions so I just cook them down) Remove onions from the pan.
2. Brown hamburger in butter in the same pan.
3. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce (to taste) and the sauteed onions.
4. Add one can of tomato soup and one can of green beans (again, if you want to use frozen, go for it)
5. Put in greased casserole and top with mashed potatoes.
6. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is slightly browned.

Trust me, this recipe is so delicious and so southern!

1 comment :

Ainslee said...

I make something along these lines but have never thought to put shredded cheese on it. I think I will do that next time because it sounds delightful.
Your blog is wonderful and I am your newest follower.

Happy Thursday.
Love, Ainslee [ www.loveainslee.blogspot.com ]

Blog Design by Get Polished