Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rainy Day aka a Lazy Tuesday

Today was a pretty uneventful day, primarily because it was a seriously drizzly day outside and all I wanted to do was curl up in bed with my puppy dog! I consider only hitting the snooze button my alarm clock (aka my Blackberry) six times, gaining me a whole 30 extra minutes of glorious sleep.
I had two classes today. Being a history major, all of my classes are history (obviously). My classes today were "America's Civil War" and "America's Civil Rights Movement." On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have "Slavery and Resistance." So, pretty much I am covering every period of Black history within the United States. I am finally enjoying my history major at Elon; before now, I had been stuck taking ancient histories of worlds that I can hardly imagine. American history is by far my "expertise," I love that I can pretty much walk outside and actually SEE our history all around us. I received a startling e-mail yesterday from the head of the history department of Elon saying that the North Carolina public school system is considering dropping "United States history to 1877" from their curriculum. Their justification is that they want to use that time to "looking forward" within the United States. How ridiculous is that?? History is not about looking forward, but about reflecting on the past and perhaps learning from past mistakes to make the future a better place for our children to grow up in. I could not IMAGINE not learning about our forefathers, the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the bravery and strength it took to fight against the British, and then the audacity of the Southern states to succeed from the Union and somehow the country got put back together. Okay, enough of my ranting about how the public school system is going down the tubes...
Elli has a new habit that I don't know if I find endearing or annoying. She has become a picky eater. She will go in the kitchen and pick up a piece of her dog food, spit it back out onto the carpet in the living room, pick it back up, chew on it, spit it back out, and then pick up the tiny pieces and FINALLY swallow them. Tom and I have tried mixing in wet food with her food and even went as far as putting her dry food into a food processor, but she still does the same thing! It is very cute though because after she has finally ingested her one piece of food, she notices that Tom and myself are watching her and she starts doing her infamous "butt wiggle" and comes and smothers us with kisses! It is hard to be mad or stay mad at such a loving "person"!!!




No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished